Anyhoo....my girlfriend sent me a Caramel Hot Chocolate recipe that is soooo good! It's rich and delicious but you seriously can't drink a huge mug because it will cause a sugar coma! As the weather gets colder, we need to drink something warm and delicious. Please give it a try. You will not be disappointed!
Ultimate Caramel Hot Chocolate
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 1/2 cups room temperature milk (I used skim but any percentage should be fine)
- 2 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 oz milk chocolate, finely chopped
- Salt to taste (I used a big pinch)
- Whipped cream
- Caramel sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and sugar until the sugar is fragrant and damp
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat to preheat for a few minutes. Once pan is hot, add the sugar. Stir immediately and continuously. Soon after it liquefies, it will take on a darker color. Cook, stirring continuously, until it turns an amber color, thus making caramel.
- Stream in the milk while continuing to stir. The caramel may seize and form small chunks of sugar, but continue to stir the mixture. When the milk is hot, the caramel will have melted and will be a smooth liquid.
- Bring liquid to a simmer (small bubbles forming along sides of pan) remove pan from heat. Do not let the liquid come to a boil. Add the chopped chocolates to the pan and whisk until mixture is smooth and chocolate is melted. Add salt to taste.
- Serve with whipped cream and caramel sauce! ENJOY!
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and sugar
|Combine until sugar is fragrant and damp|
|Chop dark and milk chocolate|
|Add the chopped chocolates to the pan and whisk until mixture is smooth and chocolate is melted|
Serve with whipped cream and caramel sauce!